I asked you a simple question! Do you love her? YES! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!

Saturday, October 06, 2007

"Leave [Jane Austen] Alone!" Or Buy the Point of Babette a Camera

So. You've seen this. (And you should also see this.) You're no doubt weary of all the Britney gossip and even more weary of the people capitalizing on her downward spiral. You should be. After all, media outlets are closing in on another famous victim...

Jane Austen.

They just won't leave her alone. Her work is canon, but there's this. And this. And this. And there's this, too.

Now, someone could open the Jane Austen Thrill Ride, and I think I could cope. However, Stephanie grimaces (sometimes growls) whenever she witnesses another exploitation of her favorite early 19th century author. "Leave Jane Austen alone!" she says.

I think the world should listen to my roommate... and invite her to be a guest on the Maury Povich Show and on Jimmy Kimmel Live. That's why you should buy the Point of Babette a video camera.

Picture this: Stephanie stands in front of a Persian rug, her eyes red. (Strangely enough, her eyeliner is in tact. Perfect.) "How bloody dare you!" she cries. She offers her audience a venomous glare. "After everything Jane Austen has been through! She didn't get married at a time when many women had to get married to secure themselves financially! She was clever when it wasn't necessarily appropriate for her to be that way! Leave her alone!" Stephanie pauses to wipe her eyes. She curls her fingers into fists and screams, "Just leave her alone! More, more, more! That's all you people want! Why do you think she called her novel Sense and Sensibility? Because you people--"

Wait, that doesn't make any sense. You know what I'm getting at here. Stephanie says she wouldn't make that video... but I think she would. We only need a video camera.

So, send us your donations. And leave Jane Austen alone!!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucky said...

I hereby volunteer my webcam. As long as I get a spot in the audience on the talk shows. And I'll need it back for the next time Gwyneth is in the tabloids. No wait, she already has I a perfect life.

Heather

9:37 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Simpson said...

You know, I told Stephanie she could use your webcam, and she still won't do it, even though she feels like Jane Austen's Chris Crocker in her heart.

And does Gwyneth really have a perfect life? She's all Madonna-lite with her faux British accent and macrobiotic diet.

12:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every night, before I go to bed, I think about this scene, as if usurped from the vaseline-lens of a camera fixed on a soap opera tragedy, wrought with emotion. Well, either that or a glorious sun-kissed afternoon during which our Stephanie rolls up the dorm-room rug, to tap dance. Yeah, she was the Ginger Rogers of our class. And I was the captive audience. I'm really excited you guys are living the dream together. Rock on. Love you both-- terribly. I've thought of you guys constantly through the years. (PS I'm going to see Spice Girls in Vegas this December. If you're really into time traveling and fantastic artists of the past, dudes...) (PPS It's a harrowing experience posting to the blog of two super English geniuses. You two should know this. Luckily, English is my second language, so if you find any grammatical mishaps, you're being racist, xenophobic assholes.)

6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie!! I've posted like 7 times and it won't show up! So, at the risk of having 93 emails everyday asking about my erectile dysfunction, please do email me at nhuthaothuynguyen@yahoo.com. Talk to you soon? Yes!!!

5:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home