I asked you a simple question! Do you love her? YES! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!

Thursday, July 07, 2005

Open Love Letters, Part One

No one writes letters anymore.

For years, I wrote to Diana Wong. We were best friends in 8th grade, and we penned six page missives to each other once a week. (Miss you, Di!) And then it stopped. We tried email, but--well, we were lost without the letters. There's just something better and right about pressing the tip of a cheap, ball-point pen onto a stack of college-ruled notebook paper. I sniffed the pages I wrote before I stuffed them into my homemade envelopes.


Good times.

So, I've decided to revive the form. Sure, I don't know anyone's street address, and I always underestimate the cost of postage. I will write letters again!

I just need a little practice. This isn't the same as scribbling high school gossip to Di Wong, but it's a start.


Dear Low-Fat Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Push-Up Pops,

I love you.

Now, I know we've only just met. But don't you think it means something that I was thinking about Push-up Pops on the day I rescued you from the freezer? Not only that, I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be great if Push-Up Pops came in a flavor other than orange sherbet?" See, orange sherbet tastes just as disgusting as ear wax or scrambled eggs. Only the push-up mechanism made the taste tolerable. I love the creamy, decadent flavors--chocolate and caramel--and until now I've always had my ice cream with a spoon or on a cone.

Yes, I love you. I didn't need the endorsement of characters from "The Flinstones" or "Scooby-Doo" to love you, either. You are perfect the way you are, Low-Fat Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Push-Up Pops. Thank you for not going to my hips.

Always,
Sam

Dear Trey Parker (But Not Matt Stone, Never Matt Stone),

I'm not like the others--

Wait, no.

Dear Trey Parker (Screw Matt Stone),

Remember that time you were in that movie? You know, "Cannibal! The Musical"? Back in the early '90s? Remember? Huh?

No again.

Dear Trey Parker (I'll Punch You in the Face, Matt Stone),

I saw "Orgazmo" on one of the best nights of my life. There wasn't much to it. I was a sophomore at a college in Middle of Nowhere, Ohio. It was April, and for the first time that year, we could go outside without our coats. By the time my roommate and friends filed into the little theater on campus, our skin was damp with night mist. We saw this play, "El Grande de Coca Cola," and I had a crush on the male lead. He wore this technicolor costume, and his Spanish wasn't so great, but I felt warm all over. At one point, he ran into the aisle--so close to my seat--and pretended to hurl a knife or something. I don't know. It was fabulous.

Afterward, we played for a couple of hours at this carnival on campus. There was no reason for the carnival to be there. We didn't have cable, so we had to make our own fun, I suppose. Anyway, I ate so much popcorn and cotton candy, I thought I would barf. I won a keychain that broke before I got back to my room around midnight.

It was so late, but the five of us--Tino, Damon, Lee, James, and me--couldn't imagine going to bed. So, Damon brought his copy of "Orgazmo." We gave him this look, like, "What the hell?" I probably asked him if it was gross because I hated gross movies. (Screw you, "American Pies 1-3.") He asked us--me--to trust him, and we did.

"Orgazmo" is gross--but it's funny. And it was part of this night that I didn't want to end. After that, we could greet each other like this: "Damon, I don't think I'm gonna do it Hamster-style anymore. You goin' to dinner?" It was that one night, that still point in our turning world of midterms and squeaky dorm mattresses, and that movie is sewn into the experience. So, now, when I watch "South Park" or "Team America" or even "Baseketball," I recover a little of it. I remember. Thank you for not going to my hips.

Love,
Sam

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sam. stop.
I think your blog is simply divine. stop. I agree with your comment about how the world should send more letters. stop. I mean, you can't spray cologne or add stickers to emails. stop. However, I would like to put in a plug for telegrams. stop. I think that they should make a comeback as well. stop. Here's why I like telegrams: colon: 1) first. They are usually dictated by someone which means two people had to take the time out of their day to get it down instead of just one person. stop. 2) second. They remind me of long ago times when men wore khaki pants and argyle ties all the time and women wore crazy hats with frilly things on them. stop. I like hats with frilly things on them. stop. So do cats. stop. 3) third. After each sentence, the person reading it to you says "Stop." stop. See? stop. And, I think if you wanted to, you could write a really funny message. stop. Like this one I will now write to Paris Hilton. stop. Whom I despise. Stop.

Dear Paris Hilton. stop.
Hey there. stop. I was just wondering if you could stop being you. stop. Stop saying "that's hot." stop. And stop making sex tapes because frankly, you look like a skinny birch tree and if I wanted to see a birch tree having sex, well, I'd consult Hieronymus Bosch. stop. So just stop. stop. Thank you. Stop. And just for kicks, stop! Stop. Stop, stop. Travis stop.

See? stop. Isn't that fun? stop. So, my vote is for more letters as well...elipses...but also...elipses...more TELEGRAMS! stop.

P.S. post script stop. The word "stop" has lost all meaning. stop.

12:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. Especially.

Dear Trey Parker,

I'm not like the others.

Well, must contribute.

Dear Ricky Ullman,

Now you're a man.

2:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great arguments made for real letters. However, I think we have all become too accustomed to backspace, delete, spell-check, AOL-smileys, wingding characters and the thesaurus to go back to paper and pens. I recently spent 30 minutes in the post office trying to compose a post-interview thank you letter for a job that I was going to turn down. It was damn hard to write. Because you don’t want to sound cheesy and you certainly don’t want to burn bridges. But there I was with no thesaurus and no way to edit.

I recognize that this was not a particularly traumatizing or even painful situation, but why go through it if you don’t have to? Therefore, tacky as it may be, don’t be surprised if one day you receive an evite to my wedding.

PS. Now I have the theme song to Orgasmo in my head.

“What makes a man? Is it the woman in his arms, just cause she has big titties? Or is it the way that he fights every day?...No, it must be the titties.”

7:15 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home