I asked you a simple question! Do you love her? YES! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

So Thin So Thirsty

I want to marry William Powell.

Forget those pesky details about time and space and real life versus onscreen persona--it's going to happen. And when it does, I will be the ultimate Myrna Loy. I will make wry comments. I will match him martini for martini.

Because, if there's anything that I've gotten out of watching all six Thin Man movies and the two documentaries included in my The Complete Thin Man boxed set, it's that I want to be a part of Nick and Nora's marriage club. They make it seem so cool.

In The Thin Man, you get the distinct impression that their whole marriage is one big bender. In Another Thin Man, Nick clears the group of men from around Nora's nightclub table with this: "Now Mommy, you know you shouldn't be out. What will the doctor say?" Nora: "I don't care what he says. I won't stay in quarantine one minute longer. I don't care who catches it."

Some stars, you want to have weekend getaways with. Some stars you want to have secret rendezvous in janitor closets with. Some you want to have chained in your basement for a rainy day. Some you just want to date for free meals and trips to the bowling alley. With William Powell, I only want to be his better half, variously the joker and the straight man.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not alone. I recently went to see After the Thin Man at the AFI and it was packed. I mean, I was lucky to get a ticket, I couldn't find enough seats together to sit with my friend AND I ended up so close to the screen I could see up William Powell's nose.

But I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

6:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home