I asked you a simple question! Do you love her? YES! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!

Monday, July 25, 2005

Large Marge Sent Me (OLL, Part Two)

Oh, Tim Burton.

I find myself sighing and saying that a lot: "Oh, Tim Burton." And there's only been one time when that sigh was not loaded with complete and utter admiration and respect.

Oh, Tim Burton. I forgive you for "Planet of the Apes," and I certainly hope you can forgive me for doubting you and Johnny Depp and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." I should have known better.

I remember making a poor first impression on my ex-boyfriend's mother. I didn't know how to cook and expressed no desire to learn. I didn't go to church. I hated her husband and sassed her son. The nail in the coffin? She overheard me urging my then-boyfriend to take me to see "Sleepy Hollow" again. Yes, again. "Isn't that the movie where people get their heads chopped off?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah!" To my credit, I tried to curb my enthusiasm about the beheading. "I mean, it's a Tim Burton movie. Or whatever." I enjoyed the Tim Burton texture--the sepia, black-and-white colors with a splash of color (blood, in this case)--more than the carnage.

Yes, that's what I call it--the Tim Burton texture. I told Stephanie that I was having a hard time articulating what exactly it is I love about your sensibility. Why am I so thrilled when I see the trailers for movies like "Corpse Bride" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"? I know I've appreciated that texture for as long as I can remember. I didn't even know he directed "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure" and "Beetlejuice." I memorized those movies. (No, seriously. I noticed what the Warner Brothers company did to "Beetlejuice," and I do not appreciate.)

When I see your name attached to a project, Tim Burton, I know I can expect a creepy, Gothic atmosphere--lightening from a thunderstorm illuminating the outline of a craggy castle; rough etches from gravestones; skulls. The characters will have interesting back stories which explain their ticks--like Willy Wonka and Ichabod Crane. Other characters will simply delight in being off and odd--like Beetlejuice.

I know I'll feel scared for at least one full minute during the film. I still have nightmares about Large Marge's disfigured face. So scary--but so funny. You, Tim Burton, get it. Why should a movie remain locked in one genre? Why shouldn't viewers root for the ghost with the most? I memorized those movies because they could be beautiful and well-wrought without taking themselves too seriously.

And I should have known that when I first saw those previews for "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." The Roald Dahl novel provided all the right ingredients for the Tim Burton texture; candy and danger are right up your alley. And you should see me now, urging people to tuck away the Gene Wilder version--at least for a moment--and trust you.

You know what you're doing, Tim Burton.

"...it looked like this!"
Sam

2 Comments:

Blogger Bryan Stokes II said...

I still refuse to see that movie on principle. You can't replace Gene Wilder with Johnny Depp.

I suppose I should see more Tim Burton movies. Maybe I'd appreciate him more. I liked Nightmare Before Christmas quite a bit.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoy your blog. Good procrastination fodder.

Oh, and in response to your previous entry: Interview Me!

8:36 AM

 
Blogger Samantha Simpson said...

Hey, Bryan. I got your five questions rightchere:

1. Don't you think it's fucking weak that you have my Frylock water bottle in your possession?

2. What's up with all the remakes of old television shows in to movies? Which one is the best? Which one is the worst?

3. As a poor graduate student, you will have to find ways to turn $4 into a week's worth of food. How are you going to do that?

4. Explain women, B-stizzle.

5. I have a Prince William plan. Which celebrity do you suppose you could hit up for affection and cash?

6:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home