I asked you a simple question! Do you love her? YES! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!

Friday, October 26, 2007

My 10 Favorite Halloween Costumes

The time has come to decide what you will be for Halloween.

Personally, I will be sporting my handy tiara, thus indicating my superiority to the world without having to actually get all dolled up. My choice is not just laziness, however. It is also a product of my perpetual costume-block. I can never think of what to be for Halloween. So I decided to celebrate here the times when I actually did triumph on Halloween. In other words, a list of my favorite Halloween costumes.

1. Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz - I'm pretty sure I was around 5 years old. Which is why my tap shoes covered in red glitter were so bad ass.

2. A ghost - A bit more compelling than the classic white sheet. I sewed myself a black dress (the sleeves didn't ever quite work) and slathered pale makeup all over my face.

3. Groucho Marx - This one was pretty much Sam's idea as she went as Harpo. She was also responsible for handling the greasepaint to fashion my eyebrows and mustache.

4. Dead Beat Poet - I got myself a black turtle neck and pants and wrote Beat poetry all over them. And then I made myself really pale. And then nobody got it.

5. Raggedy-Anne - My little brother was Raggedy-Andy - which I'm pretty sure is on some list of his, probably the one of things he holds against my parents.

Well, that's a pretty paltry list. I could only remember five. You know what? It's okay. Because if there's one thing we're about here at The Point of Babette, it's appropriating things and making them our own. So, here's the rest of the list, only these are costumes that I only wish I'd thought of.

6. God - On the 4th season of Buffy, Oz goes to a Halloween party dressed exactly as himself but with a name tag that reads "Hello, my name is God."

7. A one night stand - When I was in college a guy came to our Halloween party with a lamp shade on his head and a cardboard table on suspenders. I've always thought it was pretty impressive.

8. Three-Hole Punch Version of Jim - He works at a paper company. It's brillant.

9. The Ghostbusters - On my first trip to the New York Public Library, I found myself in the security line behind three guys dressed as the Ghostbusters. I only hope they found their way to basement.

10. Homicidal Maniac - This one, Sam suggested. In the first Addam's Family movie, Wednesday arrives for trick-or-treating dressed exactly like she always dresses. When asked what her costume is she says, "I'm a homicidal maniac, they look just like everyone else."

Well, those are my favorites. What are yours? In the meantime, here's wishing you plenty of creativity and a Happy Halloween!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best Ever - My Webby costume (I had a Ducktales obsession in Second Grade) which my mother made for me.

Next favorite - My college roommate's blue sequins dress and my natural hair in its full, no-product glory turned me into the one and only...Diana Ross. It was marvelous.

6:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home