I asked you a simple question! Do you love her? YES! But don't hold that against me, I'm a little screwy myself!

Friday, March 31, 2006

Open Letter of Ambivalence #2: Hip-Hop and You Don't Stop

Oh, Rappers and Your Delights,

We need to talk.

It's not that I don't love you. You know how to get the party started right. In fact, a party ain't a party unless you're there. Your bass lines, the hypnotic flow of your rhymes, your catchy hooks--how can I not be an appreciater? Rock--even rock of the punk variety--just doesn't cut it when it's time to get my jam on.

But let's be honest. You weren't made for me. I'm a feminist. I've been a feminist for a long time: I graduated from Girl Power to grrrl power to womanism to hardcore feminism. It's just that serious. And when it's that serious, I have a difficult time stomaching lyrics like "bitches ain't shit." Oh, it was a little cute when a young Will Smith (AKA The Fresh Prince) declared "Girl's Ain't Nothin' But Trouble," but my blood boils when harder rappers boast about getting their jimmies whacked. The beat might be slammin', but I can't get past the narrative.

And yet I can't deny the cultural importance of rap and hip-hop. It's a purely American art form--a rhythmic combination of storytelling, poetry, and bravado. You've infected suburbia. You've infected the mountainfolk, even. Everyone's favorite skinny, white-boy rocker from west NC (represent!), boySam, schools me on hip-hop; he warns me about the possibility of losing "black" points for my inability to recognize some Wu-Tang Clan songs.

You, too, are just that serious.

So, I had mixed feelings when I watched Three 6 Mafia give their acceptance speech at that Great American Juggernaut of Validation, the Academy Awards. I was like, "Hooray?" Because while I understand it's "hard out here for a pimp," I am a bit more understanding of the plight of a female sex worker.

There used to be a time when female MCs didn't have to sex it up to keep company with their male counterparts. I miss Roxanne, MC Lyte, Yo-Yo, and the rapping version of Queen Latifah. And it seems to me that Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott is doing all the heavy lifting of female representation in the hip-hop world.

So, what are we going to do? We are nothing if not honest with each other. I can't ask you to be any less hard or profane, and you certainly can't ask me to forget my convictions.

Catch you at the next party.

Ho-tel, Mo-tel, Holiday Inn,
Sam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home